Guidance and Student Services
PDHS Student Services is committed to meeting the needs of our students. We feel that we serve a critical role in ensuring students have a successful high school experience. We help students with the following:
- Transitions - Grade 8 & 9
- Pathway and Course Selections
- Preparing for Post-Secondary Life
- Financing of Education
- Connecting with Key Community Resources
- Counselling and Life Management
We have a very approachable and caring staff in Student Services.
The goals of guidance and career education programs are that students:
- Understand the concepts related to lifelong learning, interpersonal relationships and career planning.
- Develop learning skills, social skills, the ability to formulate and pursue educational and career goals
- Apply this learning to their lives and their work in the school and the community
- Students will acquire these skills and knowledge through guidance and career education courses, cooperative education courses and the development of the Pathway Planner
- Course selection
- Development of a 4 or 5 year program plan
- Liaison with elementary schools.
- Discuss learning strategies and study skills
- Assist with night school and summer school applications.
- Explore magnet programs offered throughout the GEDSB
- Discuss career pathways
- Examine college and university admission requirements and the application process
- Explore apprenticeship programs
- Encourage students to use the Career Resource Centre to investigate part-time and full-time employment opportunities
- Coordinate university and college presentations
- Personal counselling
- Problem solving and planning with students and parents
- Liaison / referrals to community agencies
- Child and youth worker
- Social worker
- Sexual assault counsellor
- Addictions counsellor
- School resource police officer
The Night School Program for credit offered by the Grand Erie District School Board provides students with the opportunity to earn one or more credits toward their high school diploma. The main purpose of providing continuing education through evening classes is to benefit adults who have left school. Another purpose is to accommodate some secondary school students who have special curriculum needs. A student who attends a Secondary school must register through Student Services at their School.
- This program offers students the opportunity to earn one secondary school credit per semester.
- The course runs Tuesday and Thursday evenings - 6:30 P.M. to 9:30 P.M.
- Only one course may be taken each semester.
- Room locations will be posted at the school on the first evening of classes.
- All courses are subject to sufficient enrollment and teacher availability.
- Students will be notified ONLY if a course is cancelled.
- If the course is offered, you will be expected in class the first evening.
College Program and Application Information
Students may both research college programs and complete their college application using the website listed below. In order to complete their applications, they will require their OEN and student number. Students at PDHS can locate their OEN number on any report card as well as their student cards. PDHS, student numbers and OEN are the same nine digit number.
Visit Ontario Colleges.ca to research college programs and admission requirements.
University Application Information (current high school students only)
The following link will take you to the online application portal. Students require their unique codes to complete the process. Codes are available in guidance by late October.
Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
For information on the governments student loans and grants click here.
Book A Guidance Appointment
Mrs. K. Edwards - 519-442-4477 Ext. 275226
Last names A - K
Mr. D. Lewis - 519-442-4477 Ext. 275236
Last Names L-Z
Access the booking form below to book with Mrs. Edwards or Mr. Lewis:
Grand Erie District School Board
Allowed Community Involvement Brochure
Gr. 10-12 Course Selection Sheet (non-GEDSB)
have articles or your own work read to you. Excellent for both comprehension and proofreading. This link allows you to download a free 30 day trial. The license is free to students - license number available in the CSS library. Restore Default Settings in MS Word: having trouble with your word settings? Use the Microsoft fix it tool to reset your default settings.