Mr. Drynan, Mrs. Smith
Mrs. Gee, Mr. Hilker, Mr. Passfield & Mrs. Smith
Why take co-op?
- a maximum of 2 credits in cooperative education can count as compulsory credits
- find out if a specific career is the one you want to pursue after high school
- a challenging and satisfying alternative to the regular classroom
- experience the workplace "up close and personal" while earning credits
- a person can take co-op more than once during high school - no limits to credits
Who should participate in co-op?
- those who plan to have a good attendance record
- those who are able to work with the public
- those who can show initiative
- those who have means of getting to their placement (walk/car/relative willing to drive)
What kinds of Co-ops are there?
1. Regular Co-op
- attend a workplace for approximately 21/2 - 3 hours in the AM or PM each school day
- for 2 credits you require 220 hours plus the required in school training
- for 3 credits you require 330 hours plus the required in school training
- for 4 credits you require 440 hours plus the required in school training
2. Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP)
Any student doing a co-op placement in an apprenticeable trade is eligible for the OYAP program. This means that the hours that the student completes for co-op can be counted towards their eventual apprenticeship hours once they begin their official apprenticeship after high school.
3. AOYAP: Accelerated Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program
This very unique program is open to students who have completed their compulsory credits and are interested in gaining their Level 1 Basic Training in one of the following trades:
- Automotive Service Technician - Semester 2 at Mohawk College, Hamilton
- Child and Youth Worker Part 1 - Semester 2 at Mohawk College, Hamilton
- Child and Youth Worker Part 2 - Semester 1 at Mohawk College, Hamilton
- Early Childhood Educator Part 1 - Semester 2 at Mohawk College, Hamilton
- Early Childhood Educator Part 2 - Semester 1 at Mohawk College, Hamilton
- Construction Craft Worker - Mancinelli Training Centre at Liuna Gardens, Hamilton
- Hairstyling - Semester 2 at Mohawk College, Hamilton
- General Carpenter - Semester 2 at Mohawk College, Hamilton
- Cook - Semester 2 Mohawk College at Cathedral High School Campus