Grand Erie Set to Kick Off Education Week 2019
Each May, Grand Erie elementary and secondary school students celebrate Education Week through a variety of events and activities. The goal of Education Week, which takes place May 6-10, is to highlight student excellence in learning. As it falls during the same time as Mental Health Week, the themes are aligned to focus on and promote mental health as well as student excellence. The theme for Education Week 2019 is: Feeling Well… Mind, Body and Spirit.
Grand Erie’s annual Education Week Gala serves as the kick-off for the week-long celebration. It takes place on Thursday, May 2 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Sanderson Centre in Brantford. The 2019 Gala includes artistic and musical performances from nearly a dozen schools across the board and is hosted by Student Trustees Ashley Cattrysse, Alexandra Hauser and Jayden Hsiao.
“While we’re always focused on student excellence in Grand Erie, Education Week provides an opportunity for our schools to showcase what they’re doing,” said Brenda Blancher, Director of Education. “It also gives the community a chance to come into our schools and see all of the amazing work of our students and staff.”
Grand Erie’s 2019 Education Week will also include two grand openings. On Monday May 6 at 2 p.m., the Board will celebrate the opening of Central Public School’s new Learning Commons. On Friday, May 10 at 11:30 a.m., the Board will close out Education Week by celebrating the official grand opening of Mapleview Elementary School.
Education Week links directly to Grand Erie’s Multi-Year Plan and its focus on Success for Every Student. It supports Achievement through the following statement: “We will set high expectations for our students and staff” and Well-Being through the following goal: “Staff, students and parents will promote health and well-being, and will know how to access supports when needed.”
2019 Grand Erie Education Week Activities and Events:
Thursday, May 2:
- Grand Erie District School Board – Education Week Gala at the Sanderson Centre, Brantford – 11:30 a.m.
Friday, May 3:
- Agnes G. Hodge Public School – Intermediate Science Fair – 8:45 a.m.
Monday, May 6:
- Ecole Dufferin – Jump Rope for Heart – 9 a.m.
- Central Public School – Learning Commons Grand Opening – 2 p.m.
Tuesday, May 7:
- Lakewood Elementary School – Author Visit: Jodi Carmichael and the Love of Writing – 9:15 & 11:30 a.m.
- Oneida Central Public School – The Lion King – 10 a.m., 12:45 & 6:30 p.m. Additional performances: May 8 (10 a.m., 12:45 & 6:30 p.m.); May 9 (10 a.m.)
- Lansdowne-Costain Public School – Amazing Race in Math – 6 p.m.
- Caledonia Centennial Public School – Jump Rope for Heart – All Day
- Delhi Public School – Book Fair – All Week
- Elgin Avenue Public School – UnLearn Day – All Day
- Graham Bell-Victoria Public School – SNAP (Student-centred, Non-competitive, All-inclusive, Problem-based) Mathematics Fair – All Day
Wednesday, May 8:
- Delhi Public School – Lego Mission Moon Expo – 11 a.m.
- Princess Elizabeth Public School – Amazing Math Race – 4 p.m.
- Boston Public School – Book Fair – 5 p.m.
- Rainham Central School – Math and Coding Night – 5 p.m.
- Courtland Public School – Open House and Book Fair – 5:30 p.m.
- J.L. Mitchener Public School – Mad Science Night and Science Expo – 5:30 p.m.
- Lakewood Elementary School – Grade 4-8 Artwork Display – 5:30 p.m.
- Boston Public School – Family Yoga Night – 6 p.m.
- Jarvis Public School – Seussical the Musical – 6:30 p.m. Additional performance: May 9 (6:30 p.m.)
- Hagersville Elementary School – Oz: The Musical – 6:30 p.m. Additional performance: May 9 (1 p.m.)
- Rainham Central School – Pirates! The Musical – 6:30 p.m. Additional performances: May 9 (2 & 6:30 p.m.)
- Thompson Creek Elementary School – Seussical the Musical – 7 p.m. Additional performances: May 9 (12 & 7 p.m.)
Thursday, May 9:
- École Dufferin – Parents and Grandparents Day – 9 a.m.
- Centennial-Grand Woodlands School – Amazing Math Race & Family Math Night – 4:30 p.m.
- Bellview Public School – Bhava Tree Yoga: Exercise, Food, Nature and Healthy Living – 5 p.m.
- Elgin Avenue Public School – Health and Wellness Night – 5 p.m.
- Lynndale Heights Public School – 20th Anniversary Celebration – 5 p.m.
- Bloomsburg Public School – Open House – 5:30 p.m.
- Caledonia Centennial Public School – Science Fair Open House – 5:30 p.m.
- Delhi Public School – French Café – All Day; Families invited at 5:30 p.m.
- Seneca Central Public School – Celebrate Seneca: Arts, Science and Social Studies displays – 5:30 p.m.
- Agnes G. Hodge Public School – Art Show and Book Fair – 6 p.m.
Friday, May 10:
- Seneca Central Public School – Grandparents Day – 8:45 a.m.
- Agnes G. Hodge Public School – Grand Families Day – 9:15 a.m.
- Hagersville Elementary School – Jump Rope for Heart – 11:05 a.m.
- Lansdowne-Costain Public School – Bird House Building Workshop (Kindergarten to Grade 3 classes with grandparents) –1:30 p.m.
- Boston Public School – Professor Jamz DJ Dance Party – All Day
- Caledonia Centennial Public School – Skipping Team demonstration – All Day
- Delhi Public School – Jump Rope for Heart – All Day