Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In
Select a question from the dropdown...
Select a location from the dropdown...
Select an eService from the dropdown...
Go Search
You Are Here:

Reception and Assessment Centre

The Newcomer Reception and Assessment Centre is a place where all new English Language Learners and First Nation, Métis, or Inuit students and their families are welcomed into the Grand Erie District School Board community.

Located at the Joseph Brant Learning Centre at 347 Erie Avenue, Brantford, Ont., visitors can make an appointment by phone or e-mail to an ESL/ELD teacher consultant at 519-756-6301 ext. 281043, an aboriginal teacher consultant at 519-756-6301 ext. 281039 or

Toll-free: 1-888-548-8878

What happens at the Newcomer Reception and Assessment Centre?

  • If required, we provide newcomers with language and cultural interpretation
  • We assess the student’s current level of English language (reading, writing and speaking) and Math skills
  • We make recommendations to appropriate programs
  • We introduce newcomer families and students to the Ontario Elementary and Secondary school system
  • If the student is not registered at the school, we will set up an appointment with the school for registration and proper integration into the school
  • A Settlement Officer from the YMCA’s Immigration Settlement Services will:
  • Meet with parents and guardians to provide newcomer families information on community services and resources
  • Help families connect with services and agencies that can offer assistance that they may need

Who should go to the Newcomer Reception and Assessment centre?

  • Any elementary or secondary student new to Canada, entering the Ontario school system for the first time (SK- grade 12)
  • Any student from a French language school where French is their first language in the home
  • Any student from the United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, or Australia who has spent less than two years in an English language school system
  • Canadian born students who have moved to a country where English is not their first language and have re-entered Canada after two or more years
  • First Nation, Métis, or Inuit students who speak a Native Language in the home or are entering the school board from a Native Language Immersion program

What documents do I need for my orientation or assessment?

  • Passport
  • Permanent Residence Card or Landing form
  • Birth Certificate
  • Proof of Immunization
  • Proof of Address
  • Most recent school documents

Download our brochure for additional information.

Additional Resources 


Bookmark and Share