Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) gives people the right to request access to information and requires that public institutions including school boards respect the privacy of individuals by protecting the personal information they provide us.
The form with which to make an access request under MFIPPA is found here.
1. Maximum public access with minimal exceptions
2. Personal information is protected to ensure an individual’s privacy
3. Impartial review by the office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner
4. Individuals retain the right to request corrections to their own information
Access to Information
Section 4.(1) Every person has a right of access to a record or a part of a record in the custody or control of an institution unless the record or part of the record falls within one of the exemptions under sections 6-15.
- draft by-laws & records of closed meetings
- economic and other interests
- danger to health or safety
- published information
- law enforcement
- third party information
- solicitor-client privilege
- personal information
- relations with government
All formal requests under the Act must be forwarded to:
Freedom of Information Coordinator
Grand Erie District School Board
349 Erie Avenue
Brantford, ON N3T 5V3
(519) 756-6306 ext. 281133 or fax (519) 759-0895
Requests for information made under the Act must be made in writing and accompanied by a $5.00 administration fee. Generally, the Board has 30 days to respond to a request. A requester will be notified when:
- Further information or clarification is needed;
- A time limit has been extended, giving a reason;
- Record-severing is required, giving a reason;
- Access is denied, giving a reason; and
- The estimated fee exceeds $25.00.
The process assures the requester’s anonymity. The requester does not have to explain why the information is required. The requester’s residency, age or citizenship does not restrict right of access.
Application Fee: $5.00
Search Time: $7.50 per ¼ hour
Record Preparation: $7.50 per ¼ hour
Photocopying: $0.20 per page
Computer Programming $15.00 per ¼ hour
Disks: $10.00 per disk
Right to Appeal an Access Decision
If you are not satisfied with the response you have received from the Board, you can appeal it with the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario. You may also lodge a complaint with the Commissioner if you feel the Board has breached your personal privacy. They may be reached by calling 1-800-387-0073 or faxing (416) 325-9195. For further information, visit the IPC/O website.
School boards collect, use and share personal information from and about individuals in the course of providing educational services and to administer programs. MFIPPA regulates the way personal information is administered with a view to protect each individual’s right to privacy. Any individuals or their parents/guardians who are given access to their personal information also have a right to request correction of that information if they believe it to be inaccurate.